Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Vulnerability - love the way it hurts

There’s something about an unreserved gesture of love that actually makes it both painful and elating to watch. And it doesn’t always matter if it’s real life or fiction, I don’t think. I’ve been watching Schitt’s Creek season 4, and the development of David and Patrick’s relationship, and twice now I’ve held my breath while they each, in their own respective ways, serenaded each other for all to see. 


Schitt's Creek S4: E9 "The Olive Branch"

I say held my breath, but really it was like there was no air in the room. I was breathlessly waiting and watching, vigilantly scanning for the moment when the writers might throw a curve and interrupt their declarations with some sort of comedic blunder or dramatic walk-on. It was almost like the moments were so beautiful that the entire universe might shatter if they were ruined, and it surprised me that I could feel that for a show, at the same time as the open awe and heart-bursting joy of seeing that they genuinely cared that much for each other after the relationship bumps they’d been through, and that reserved, tightly wound David in particular would be have enough trust and faith to let himself give up that much control. It’s the picture of what Brene Brown and Glennon Doyle’s ideas of vulnerability could look like – letting oneself be seen in spite of and because of the fact that it could actually destroy… everything. 

It was also very clear to me that my mind's normal protocol in these situations is to look for all the minuscule signs of something that might be going wrong, with my palm hovering over the "abort" button. It's hard to notice I love the moment when I am also actively running FUBAR simulations in my head. But I did notice, this time, and I'm grateful to the writers who put two such scenes in such close succession so that I could.

No comments:

Post a Comment