Thursday, January 6, 2022

Girl, (Somewhat) Uninterrupted

Don't suggest app
Curbing the pathological notification checking.
Trying to take a bit of time to reset, sort of. Try something a bit different. Shake things up. It's hard but I also feel like despite the hard things never really letting up, I'm feeling things shift a bit for me. More clarity. Maybe it's the vitamins. Maybe it's getting back to work but without the soul-tearingly early hours required to get everyone to their respective day jobs on time, now that we're all working from home. More willingness to move on things I had set aside too or was avoiding looking at. More intentionality. I'm starting to take charge of the push and pull of the tides and push back a bit so resentment isn't my only mental state -- which feels important. I can't analyze it too closely or try to force myself to document it all. I need to accept that some things are too big for me to reduce to words or lists or line items -- and anyway, that's a good thing in my books. I just need to actually make peace with it. 

 Something I've learned more concretely about myself in the last couple days of virtual school, and that I should probably watch for more and keep in mind, is that interruption is one of the main things that kills my productivity. So much so that even the thought that I might be interrupted kind of paralyzes my ability to transition to the next right thing. I just pace and wait and fritter away time on the less important but easily finished or abandoned tasks while I let the potential for interruption pass. Sometimes I think it's fine to acknowledge this and allow for myself to do just the one thing at a time. Other times though, I may need to find ways to control or redirect this tendency, since some interruptions never end but also never begin. That said, I also need to reduce the potential for interruptions in some areas. This week I've been shutting down a lot of sources of mini-crisis and it's been nice to have my mind free to continue the thought I was already having. More of that would be good. Basically, there's almost no need for me to ever rely on Social Media to keep me connected to the people I really need to keep constant connection with, and so turning of its push notifications and limiting checking it to a smaller window each day can help me avoid inviting interruption. So doing, I can increase the continuous flow time for things like serenity, creativity, and purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment