Tuesday, December 27, 2011

More on passion: Why don't I?

There are things I often lament not doing more or making more time for, but rarely feel motivated to do when it seems I do have time:

- Play the piano
- Play the guitar
- Dance
- Make altered art
- Write
- Read "important" books
- Read or watch or listen to the news
- Listen to music outside my mainstream zone
- Learn tai chi
- Do crafts
- Scrapbook

There are things I rarely feel motivated to do, but do get into when I finally make time to do them:
- Collage
- Reading or watching or listening to the news
- Tai chi movements
- Freestyle dance
- Balance, such as yoga activities

Things that I feel like define me because I used to love doing them and do them well, but now can't manage to focus on:
- Reading books for long periods of time, or with heavy subject matter
- Listening to or practicing non-current music
- Writing, all kinds
- Learning and practicing instruments
- Turning ideas into projects, art

What I tend to wonder when I look at these things, is what is the issue -- if indeed there is just one? Am I having attention problems, lack of interest due to stress or depression? Do I need social validation in order to enjoy anything? Is it the social aspect of these things that I connect to? Or am I just not into these things anymore? Not knowing the answer, I feel lost in trying to figure out what it is I DO want to do. Do I have to fix something before I can figure it out? Do I have to make a commitment to something and build up my interest from there? Is there something new that I should be trying because I'd be really into it? I don't know, and I'm always so hesitant to launch myself into something without being at least somewhat expectant that it will lead me where I want to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment