Sunday, July 24, 2011

Caribana week ahead: getting ready (to wuk)

This week will be an exciting one, with the Caribana parade this Saturday, partying the Sunday after, and all the preparation that's going into it all.

Today was the last class of Socasize Bootcamp, a dance aerobic class a couple of us took to get ready for the road, both by getting familiar with this year's music and moves, and also of course by upping our endurance to wine up for some 6 hours straight! I found that two hours of aerobics was really pushing it at first, but I got more used ot it, and the format of the class is perfect. It used the moves I grew up with as well as new ones to build tone and endurance, and the instructor really encourages you to throw it all out there and have fun with the dancing and the music. I totally would do it again, either during the year as a regular one-hour non-boot-camp class, or the bootcamp again if I play Mas in the future. Some of my favourite songs from the class:



After class, we got together with another of the girls we're playing Mas with and another friend, to decorate our parade footwear. There were glue guns and stick-on gems and feathers and stickers and wayward sparkles everywhere.

 The other girls both live in the east end so they went and got their shoes at the same place. It's amazing what a chance these patterned decals make. LOVE the boots!


I bought my converse separately. I really love them -- never had Cons before! -- so I didn't want to put anything on them I couldn't get off. I only used the glue gun for the feathers and rhinestones on the side of the soles.



Everything else I just used the self-adhesive, so we'll see if it holds out on Parade Day!



I also decorated the bag I bought to carry whatever I need on Saturday. I'm probably going to carry it over my shoulder, so I want it to look good! The girls suggested I add feathers, so I may do that during the week.


I'm really excited about this -- it'll be the second time I'm directly involved in Caribana as a participant (I used to LOVE coming to see all the costumes and the music and dancing as a kid, but it was a bit of a trek with four kids and two adults, and we didn't make it most years), but the first time I get to play Mas, so it's kind of like a dream come true, if you will! *childish grin and hand claps*

In honour of the coming fete, I've decided to have a Caribana-themed menu this week for my dinner nights. My friends have got me thinking of all the traditional dishes, and food is the best way to get my Nonsense in on the fun! ;)

2 comments:

  1. Love your post!! !So glad you are excited and getting into the spirit. Some words of advice from a veteran reveller (lol) stay very very hydrated...alcohol is nice for wetting the palette but I'm talking WATER!!! Drink lots of water and if you feel like pouring it on yourself to cool your body down...go for it. And make sure you stop to eat...tonnes of excellent food on the parade route. And don't be too shocked if some aggressive men come up behind you and start to whine. Easiest way to get rid of them...if you want (lol) whine back on them and show them a thing or two and then dance away.!!! Have fun cuz...so glad you're playing mas this year. Have tonnes of fun and hopefully I'll see you down the road.

    P.S. Take lots of pics!!!

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha thanks Nicole. Definitely planning to drink lots of water (I'm gonna ask at the camp tonight what the supply situation is like for food and water, so I know if I have to bring my own.).

    As for the men, see I'd be nervous about wining back on them, won't that just encourage them? :P

    Who are you playing with (I mean friends, not the band itself)?

    ReplyDelete