Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Pre-poetry micro-challenge: Weekly edition 2 - Focus



One thing. Consider it. Choose it. Plan it. Do it. Reflect on it. Change it. Do it. Reflect on it. Practice it. Perfect it. Reflect on it. Add on it. This is the method. It will exert itself. You have only to let it. Letting it is one thing. Consider it. Choose it.    Attention split in two is not twice as good, nor even half. Focused, sustained practice, over time, building stamina. It has been said. It has been tried. It has been tested. It is true. Consider it. Choose it. Plan it. Do it.


As you know if you've been following, I've been working on building the habit of habit-building, and of doing things for specific sustained periods, few at a time or singly. The first month of school has been a trial by fire, and I think I'm still surviving, though I can't say I've come through unscathed. However, I have not pressed the snooze button a single time this month so far. That habit at least I feel I can say I have developed to sustainability.



My back stretches I find hard to maintain, partly because I don't like them. They don't make me feel better when my back hurts in the moment (though they definitely work as prevention and treatment over the long term), and they tend to make my fingertips go numb for a while, which is unpleasant and unnerving.

The habit of writing to a picture I find enjoyable but difficult to sustain even at the once weekly pace. However, as I've just changed the routine, Maybe I'll give myself some time before I start measuring again.

I'm working on bringing the habit into my work as a teacher. It's hard though, because there are so many demands on my time, energy and headspace. I get muddled very easily, especially in these first few weeks. However, I can definitely say I've started picking up and cultivating some good habits as a teacher too. First and foremost, I'm working on picking a single thing to focus my main efforts on. This thing, this year, will be assessment, as I find it so necessary, but so, SO hard to wrap my head around. I will also be brushing up and implementing skills learned last year via the Daily 5. I also really really want to do a great science program and art program and study up on 6+1 Traits writing. But I'm trying to resist the temptation to get too deep into those, especially the writing program. I don't want to try to implement 9 things and fail to implement any. I want to succeed at implementing one thing, while taking the time to learn and really absorb another. So Daily 5, and assessment. Everything else I will do my best at, from where I'm at.

Even so, what a lot of stuff! That's where this week's effort is flowing from. This picture caught my eye immediately. I guess I needed to look at something minimalist, zen, and peaceful.



One thing. Consider it. Choose it. Plan it. Do it. Reflect on it. Change it. Do it. Reflect on it. Practice it. Perfect it. Reflect on it. Add on it. This is the method. It will exert itself. You have only to let it. Letting it is one thing. Consider it. Choose it.    Attention split in two is not twice as good, nor even half. Focused, sustained practice, over time, building stamina. It has been said. It has been tried. It has been tested. It is true. Consider it. Choose it. Plan it. Do it.
One thing. Consider it. Choose it. Plan it. Do it. Reflect on it. Change it. Do it. Reflect on it. Practice it. Perfect it. Reflect on it. Add on it. This is the method. It will exert itself. You have only to let it. Letting it is one thing. Consider it. Choose it. Attention split in two is not twice as good, nor even half. Focused, sustained practice, over time, building stamina. It has been said. It has been tried. It has been tested. It is true. Consider it. Choose it. Plan it. Do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment