Friday, September 10, 2010

Chronicles of back-to-school (or: My week in stupid)

So this first week back to school has not be the glorious, uplifting rollercoaster of delight and frazzlement that I was so looking forward to all summer. Instead it's been an appalling rollercoaster of frazzlement and surprising social and organizational gaffes that I intend, after this post, to relegate to the abyss of That-Which-Must-Not-Be-Spoken.

That said, I shall simply list all of the icky stupid acts and non-acts of the week that I can remember, one after the other:
  1. Arrived at school on the first day, as parents were arriving with the students, instead of nice and early as intended so I could be there and ready by the time they showed up.
  2. Forgot (!) to attend the "Introduction of all teachers to all students" assembly on the first day of school.
  3. Neglected to hand in my paysheet on Tuesday as previously explained to me.
  4. Neglected to write down the details of a new tutoring student's tutoring plan when I had settled them and therefore needed to go around asking for the plans again.
  5. Asked an innocently curious (read: nosy) question that precipitated a thorough and crushing answer and an unexpected journey I'm terrified to take.
  6. Left my planner (the one that contains all my daily and weekly activities, directions for how to get to them, contacts and phone numbers, and to-do lists, which I don't have to remember because I always have them written in my planner -- oh aaaaand my chequebook) at my sister's in Ajax.
  7. Spent a ton of time on long-range planning, and completely neglected short-range planning, with the result that all of my lessons this week have felt harried and unprofessional.
  8. Forgot to bring the French-English dictionary I got out of the library for the purpose to my tutoring student's house so that we could look up words she (and I) didn't know.
  9. Finished a conversation with my newest tutoring student's dad, after which I looked down to see that the top button of my blouse had come undone and the top third of my bra (thankfully a colour that went okay with the blouse itself) was hanging out there.
  10. Forgot to respond to an urgent request for a last-minute tutoring session.
  11. Received a call from my newest tutoring student's mom which informed me that in fact she hadn't been supposed to be tutored that day because mom had decided to give her a break from tutoring for a while.
  12. Left my pencil case at the home of my tutoring student, where I won't visit again until next week, complete with my most useful pens, mechanical pencils and highlighers, as well as the game cards I made up to use during such tutoring sessions.
And there you have it. If I've forgotten anything, please just keep it to yourself. Next week will be great. Great.

No comments:

Post a Comment