Monday, July 5, 2010

I am a cookie monster. Admit it, you are too.

Good times this Canada Day/Pride weekend.

Friday I went to see sis's show, A Freudian Slip of the Jung, which was really hilarious. The acting, especially by the actors playing Freud and Jung, is fantastic, and if you like "fourth-wall" humour, this show does it really well. If you get a chance, go see it, you'll enjoy! 

Saturday was Geekbeep's final-twentieth birthday. Met and chatted with some fun folks at the barbeque, and had loads of great food -- always a given at her parties! As a birthday gift I brought a batch of chocolate crinkle cookies, which seem to have been a hit. These are a few of my favourite things -- in terms of return on investment, these babies are easy to make and crazy tasty. As promised, I'm posting the recipe here for your consumption.

My quest for this recipe began when I tasted Le Gourmand's highly addictive, insanely delicious, sinfully gooey Nookie Cookies. I haven't been able to find anything exactly like them (according to one of the employees there, their cookies are made with almond flour and without wheat or eggs), but these are pretty close and sooooo good. They don't actually contain any cocaine, but don't be surprised if you become addicted.

Chocolate Crinkle Cookies 
(originally from http://www.1001recipe.com/recipes/food/chocolate_crinkle_cookies/. I haven't made changes to her recipe, I just omitted or added information as it suited my cooking style.)

Yield: Last time I made these, I got 17 cookies, a bit larger than one inch. 

Ingredients:
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt

1/4 cup sweet butter
1/3 cup cocoa powder (not Dutch processed)
1 egg (room temp.)
1/2 tsp vanilla (or 1 tsp instant coffee granules dissolved in 2 tbsp hot water)
1/3 cup semisweet or dark chocolate chips or 2 oz./60 g semisweet or dark chocolate, chopped

3/4 cup powdered sugar

Directions:
- Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt.
- In a small bowl or saucepan, melt butter. Add cocoa, whisking until smooth. Stir in egg until fully blended. Stir in vanilla.
- Stir flour mix into cocoa mix until just combined. Do not overmix. Fold in chocolate chips. (I usually use my hands as it's quite stiff at this point).
- Can refrigerate a few days if desired (but note that if you do, forming the cookie balls will take more work ane patience!)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. 
- Scoop small pieces of dough and roll in palm to make 1-inch balls. Roll twice in powdered sugar and place on baking sheet, 2 inches apart.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until cracked and still soft. Do not overbake.
- Let cool on baking sheets 5 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.


After Geekbeep's barbeque, I went down to the Village for some pre-parade partying with friends. A fun drag show and some dancing was a nice ending to the night. 

Sunday was kind of odd. I was looking forward to meandering through the Pride marketplace with few girlfriends, and since I know Nonsense generally enjoys the Pride day events and since we hadn't hung out much of the weekend, I asked at the last minute if he wanted to join. We headed out in the afternoon but, on the way, found that various complications meant our girlfriends probably would not make it, so it was just the two of us. Once we got downtown, I began powering through the crowds as if I was trying to get somewhere, but once I got to where I thought I was going, I found I didn't know what I was trying to get there for, so I just continued pushing through the crowds and the market areas, at a reasonable walking pace now but still in a straight line and with none of the meandering I had originally pictured, with Nonsense wandering alongside.

I think I was vaguely interested in wandering the market stalls, but knowing that that's not my beloved's thing, I walked on, perhaps in search of a stall at which one or the other of us actually did want to make a purchase. But since there weren't any where I could have justified the purchase as something other than "frivolous" impulse buying, we just kept walking until we'd done the circuit... and then we went home, me feeling strangely deflated and bemused.

In retrospect, I think I was kind of at a loss, what with the change in expected grouping. Have I mentioned how easily I get thrown off by change?

See, I know my girls like the whole festival atmosphere, the wandering with little purpose, the checking out of random merchandise at the stalls, the chatting about life, the universe and everything as you go. I also know that this is something Nonsense would not be as into, but would suffer for the sake of being agreeable to those he's with. And while it's perfectly acceptable for him to be agreeable to me, I don't like to drag him into things he's not going to enjoy, especially if it might mean he has to find his kicks in gently taking the piss out of me -- which while funny, can be irksome when you're not trying to be cute and peculiar.

So yeah, clearly in need of a better plan next time. A plan for dealing with change in general, and for enjoying unplanned fun with my boyfriend specifically. Hmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment